Dr. Lewis Patterson started working with computers in 1968. The first machine utilized was an IBM-1130 which had 8 kilo-words (no byte addressing) and 512 kilobytes of disk storage. The language of the day was Fortran. He managed the administrative and academic computing facilities at Birmingham-Southern College for 19 years. The hardware evolved from an enhanced IBM-1130 to an HP-3000. Languages evolved from Fortran to Cobol, C, and assembler.
After several years as a full-time graduate student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, Lewis obtained a PhD. in Computer Science in 1992 and returned to Birmingham-Southern as a professor. Lewis retired from BSC in May of 2011 and joined Whiteboard as a Senior Developer.
Outside of work Lewis enjoys trying to solve problems via programming computers. He also enjoys watching Formula-1 racing and likes to run to relieve stress.